Thursday, March 7, 2013

FINALLY SCREEN PRINTING!

I finally got all my supplies and equipment together, attached clamps to my table, and started printing! Technically I had all of the stuff together for about a week but put off making my first screen because I was nervous about messing up. Yesterday I got over it and worked on my first printing project - a simple design to print on the inside of my bags. I am still working on new products and getting my online shop re-open, and this feels like a huge step in the right direction. I have been wanting to do this forever. I am so excited.
I have so many ideas for fabric designs I have been saving for when I have my station set up, so now I have to actually have to do it. For this first screen, as simple as it is, I'm extremely thrilled that everything worked out - it was hard to get the timing of everything right the first time. I am not an expert, I make huge messes...and I duck tape a work light onto our bathroom sink as my "exposure unit." So my process could be slightly refined, but I couldn't be happier with the little screen printing station I've set up.

5 comments:

  1. How exciting! I've always wanted to learn how to do this!
    ♥Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good, Jesse! There are so many things I want to learn from you!

    -Steph x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I've always wanted to screen print. I can't wait to see what else you make with this process.

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, sweet! I've always been too scared to do the whole photo-emulsion process, for fear of messing up, too. I just do the drawing fluid & screen filler method, but it takes so long, and it isn't as precise as exposing, sigh! I envy your bravery, ma'am. what's the process like? did you have to fumble around in the dark a lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO scared to work with the emulsion but I just double checked the steps a million times and read through a lot of tutorials I found online and then did it. I didn't stumble around too much in the dark because we put a yellow bug light in the bathroom which doesn't give off UV so I could use that while setting everything up before leaving it in the dark.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to say something back. I love hearing what you have to say...